Suggest remedy for itching sensation around rectum and penis

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I have been have a reacquiring problem, each flare up will last at least two weeks, roughly a month and a half apart and has been happening for the last seven months. I have been having itching around the outside and a inside of my rectum. Simultaneously, the shaft of my penis will also itch. As I scratch one, the other will will itch more. They don't seem to have sores or even a rash, until I start itching. I have only had sex with my wife but did travel to XXXXXXX when it started. Could it be some sort of internal infection or worms?
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Perianal/rectal itch with penile itch?under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Ans-Perianal/rectal itch with penile itch?under Investigation

Hi,Welcome for your query to HCM.
I studied your query details in depth and reviewed it. A photograph of the lesion will be very helpful.
Cause of this problem-
Based on the facts of your query,In my opinion you seem to have mild Candidiasis- due to fungal infection causing Proctitis and perianal and penile itch ,which is recurring due to steroid cream and improper treatment.

I would suggest you to get Second opinion from your Dermatologist,to rule out other causes after physical examination and proper lab investigations.

Suggestions to control it-
Stop Cortizone cream immediately as it complicates and causes recurrence of infection.
Hygiene of the Anal and penile areas with dettol sponging and keeping them clean and dry
Do not itch as it may worsen the issue
Canestan plain cream for perianal areas only.
If your doctor confirms that it is candida he may prescribe oral antifungal like fluconazole.

This would help you to plan treatment with your doctor.
Hope this reply satisfies you fully.

Will appreciate you,writing excellent review feedback comments,to help the needy visiting patients like you,at HCM services.

Wishing you fast recovery.
Keep me updated if need by by direct question.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar M.N.
M.S.Genl-CVTS XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 5 days later
Dr.Savaskar,

Thank you for following up with me and my case.

As for pictures of the lesions, there are no lesions that I can see. It almost feels as if the itching is intern with the shaft of my penis.

Also, in my last comment I said I used Cortizone cream but I was mistaken. I was using antibiotic ointment.

Last, what is dettol sponging?

Thank you again for your help. I look forward to your response.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Bried Ans-Perianal/rectal itch with penile itch?under Investigation

HI,Dear,thanks for the updates.
After review of the data with your main query,I would suggest you-
- to take plenty of Fluids -3-4 liters per day.
As you have only internal penile itching,its mostly due to Candidial urethritis.
You need to check with your doctor to rule out any other cause of it,if Flucanozole treatment does not help your penile itch.

-You were using Antibiotic for a Fungal infection and hence you had recurring attacks of the perianal itch due to wrong treatment.

-Dettol sponging means, cleaning o with a sponge or cloth, soaked in mild dettol solution and is advised to you to prevent recurring perianal infections.

Dear,I Will appreciate You,for writing excellent feedback review comments,to help the needy visitor patients like you, at HCM.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad