Suggest remedy for itching and pain in the toes

Dr. Sassen S Kwasa

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have redness on the tops of my toes as seen in the photos. Its been about a week and the redness has only progressed. First symptoms was itching, a little redness and pain. Now my symptoms are redness, pain, skin pulling back from several small toes at the base of toenail, what appears to have been blisters, and my toes have changed shape as though there was pressure pushing them together. My shoes don't feel like they are really tight but they do have rubber that comes over the toe box and as a cashier I am do a lot of squating so I am on my toes alot. I recently bought these shoes about a month and a half ago. I have problems with profuse sweating and the shoes do not allow them to breathe so I do know it doesn't not help the problem. I am 20 years old, 250lbs and female. I am not diabetic and do not have any other diseases other then hashimotos hypothyroidism which I take 224mg of synthroid for and Victoza for diabetes prevention.
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. Thank you for the photo's. Please note that this is fungus and it is exacerbated by moisture and tight fitting shoes. You need to see a doctor to get a prescription for antifungals. In the meantime, change your socks daily, use socks with your shoes, clean and wash your feet daily and between the toes, you can place cotton balls with your socks and shoes if they gtet really sweaty and change these over during your lunch break, basically the fungus will cease to grow if the environment is dry. I hope this helps, good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 9 hours later
My Mother has had eczema before and had gotten a topical ointment and she gave to me to use, it is Metrogel Topical 1% gel, do you think this will work.
Brief Answer:
Actually do not use that, unless you had a bacterial infection ensuing.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking this, the metrogel is a Flagyl topical that will be best suited if you have a bacterial superinfection to your feet, this is infact possible if the fungal infection lasts a long time, but for your feet I would look for an antifungal. Keeping the area dry and scrubbing off the dead skin off and maybe a salt soak will do better than the ointment you ask about.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad