Suggest remedy for irregular menstruation caused by hyperthyroidism

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi I have known hyperthyroidism that swings hypo at times and am traveling internationally for 5 more days which makes seeing a Dr difficult.

I have just got an irregular period (2 weeks early) which is VERY heavy and not something I have ever experienced before as my periods are usually light. Soaking through a pad every hour.

I am not sure if this is so something urgent that needs a Dr now or can wait to be looked at in 5 days when I return home? I can't even tell if it is a period or some other type of bleeding but there are clots present and some mild cramping and sore breasts.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please meet a gynecologist if the bleeding is heavy

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern.
The soreness in breast and cramping indicate that it is probably a period itself. Shift in time zone can cause irregularities in period. However, if you feel that the bleeding is unusually heavy, please meet a doctor there. Better to meet a gynecologist rather than GP (if possible).

I hope your last thyroid function test was normal.

Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 11 minutes later
It is not possible for me to see a Dr here

Can hypothyroidism (under active) cause unusually heavy irregular periods?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, underactive thyroid can cause heavy periods

Detailed Answer:
yes, hypothyroidism ( underactive thyroid) can cause heavy and irregular periods. But once you are on medications and if the levels of thyroid hormones are normalised, then not to worry.