Suggest remedy for intermittent pain in abdomen caused by stomach infection

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My son was diagnosed with stomach infection on the 5th of October. After taking the probiotic medication he has been fine. But just this evening he has been getting severe stomach pains on and off. Please suggest on how I could ease the pain and if I have to visit the doctor.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Giving antispasmodic would help

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I can understand your concern.
Pain abdomen can be due to spasm of intestine and it will get improved with antispasmodic like dicyclomine.
I won't get worried if there is no associated vomiting,blood or mucus mixed stool,abdominal distension or urinary problem.
Continue giving probiotic for 2-3 days.
If pain abdomen persists (does not improves with dicyclomine) or it worsens consult your physician for evaluation and management accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your child's speedy recovery.