Suggest remedy for intense pain in head and neck caused by herniated discs

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 21 Dec 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I was in a car accident 3 years ago and have 2 herniated discs at c5-c6 & c6-c7. I have been dealing with pain, described as a pressure in the left side of my head, left side of my neck, and for over the past year, a gurgling sound coming from the back side of my neck when I lay down on my back with my neck resting on the pillow at night. It sounds like pressure being relieved through a pipe with air in it. The doctor says the only thing that will make the pain stop is fusing the discs together in surgery, which I have chosen not to pursue at this point. But, these strange noises are making me wonder if there is something else going on, like blockage of blood flow or fluid of some sort.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are having cervical spondylosis. Diacerine, glucosamine are useful.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query

I'm Dr Sudhir Kumar

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are likely to be having cervical spondylosis. Treatment of it is Diacerine and glucosamine. Vitamin D can be taken if found deficiency. Analgesic such as ibuprofen are useful for pain relief. This is unlikely to be related to blockage of blood flow. However you can get carotid angiography to see block. You can discuss with your doctor about it.

Hope your query get answered. If you have any clarification then I will be happy to help you.

Wishing you a good health.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX

For any noise / grinding sensation to occur with cervical spondylosis, the patient needs to be in motion, which would cause the bones to rub together / make a cracking noise.

As described in my original question, this is not what is happening. I am laying completely still on my back, at rest. I am aware of the difference between cervical spondylosis and this noise, which is best described as a gurgling sound, like liquid in a pipe with air bubbles trapped, or like a "rain stick", or air bubbles in a liquid as they gurgle to the top of a surface.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are right that if there is no movement then sounds are unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back
You are right some motion is essential for sounds to be there is cervical spondylosis. If there is absolutely no motion then these sounds can't be due to cervical spondylosis. Pain can occur in spondylosis even on rest but no sounds.
Furthermore Sounds are less common symptoms of carotid atherosclerosis( measure neck artery blockage). Less common symptoms are artery sounds (bruits), or ringing in the ears (tinnitus). But these doesn't cause pain in the neck.So Doppler sonography and carotid angiography is advisable to confirm the diagnosis. You need consulting vascular surgeon and neurophysician for treatment of this.
Everything else already discussed.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
https://www.bit.ly/askdrsudhirortho

Wishing you good health