Suggest remedy for hypochondriasis

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I am a 28 year old guy working in an MNC a sexually active person. On 1st October 2015 I had a risky exposure a brief unprotected sex with a CSW post which I got scared and did the following tests.
1.4th Generation Test after 7 weeks.
2. 4th Generation test after 12 weeks.
3 4th Generation test after 23 weeks.
4. 4th Generation test after 25 weeks.
All these reports came negative. I don't do drugs at all neither I donate blood technically I haven't risked myself with a CSW again.
Dr XXXXXXX from HCM had cleared lot of my doubts and I am thankful to him. Below is my doubt I am not sure why is this happening to me I dont know whether is psychological or something else.

1. Post 1st Oct 2015 I have always been thinking about HIV its impacts in life and fear of the same despite being negative after 12 weeks still the thought did not go off my head hence i got myself tested again at 23 and 25 weeks. I thought I will forget this incident and move on in life after my last negative reports.
But the thought is not gone off my head now a new thought came off my head that I might be infected with the Lab needle which was used for testing. I know the thought is irrational but it keeps on haunting me.
2. Since I am a prayerful person in order to get rid off this once for and all I made 4 paper chits 2 which was written +ve and 2 which was written -ve. I generally used to do this to get answers for my life it was never very accurate but most of the times it came correct. However today 7 out of 10 times the chit came as positive. This scared me to hell.

3. Despite having all my four negative reports why did this paper chit stuff scare me out so much. I know its irrational but i couldn't control my mind at all I now started to believe that my infected and I dont have the courage to go and get tested again. I started to believe that if i overthink much on HIV than I might get infected by thinking itself.

DR. I know this is really stupid but I need help why am i getting so paranoid despite getting negative results 4 times. Do you really think this paper chit stuff has any impact on my status can it be true??. I feel paralyzed please help I get suicidal thoughts. I am getting married this year what do i do???
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes this is due to abnormal thinking process

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through the every word written here in reference to your query and understand impact each and every concern.

I will start with your own stuff. Yes it is irrational and stupid thing to think for something (read HIV) which is not present and proved beyond doubts over a 25 week period.

To be XXXXXXX we all think about one or another thing but only to the rational extent. When it crosses the rational boundary the condition is known as pathological. In your condition the pathology is known as hypochondriasis in psychiatric terms. Yes you read it right that fear of serious illness haunts the person despite enough evidence of contrary. The second possibility in your case is obsessive compulsive personality disorder which is again a psychiatric disorder.

As you know already chit fund is nothing but I feel the obsessive pattern of thinking in you resulted in believing something irrational (chits) while neglecting the scientifically proved methods results (4th generation tests).

This happens because you have pathological pattern of thinking and this should be corrected without delay.

I must inform you that you will not be able to control these thoughts as they are beyond reasoning at this moment. It will be most appropriate if you can consult a psychiatrist as soon as possible as in absence of professional help you may damage your self esteem beyond the reparable limits.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak