Suggest remedy for hyperemia

Nephrologist
Question
My job requires answering the telephone about 6 hours a day, and when there are constant non-stop calls -- say two hours -- my outer ear feels warm to hot and sometimes sore. I cannot switch ears because my right ear doesn't hear all the sounds. What do you recommend?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hyperemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The outer ear feels warm because of increased blood supply to that particular area, in medical terms its called hyperemeia. I understand why you cannot use the other ear
I suggest the following things to you

1. Take short breaks of one to two minutes every 15 min. This will reduce the soreness and warmth
2. The best solution for you would be to use hands free in the form of headphones or ear phones
3. A thin ear muffler to separate the phone from the ear can help as well.
4. If the short breaks cannot be taken then I advice you to shift over to the other ear and manage for a few minutes, it is inevitable
5. There are no medications which can be given to reduce the warmth or soreness

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health