Suggest remedy for hot flashes, weight gain and hair fall

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am 63 yrs old. 15 yrs past menopause. My TSH is normal on thyroid meds, yet i am recently experiencing hair loss, hot flashes and weight gain. slight fliud on ankles. also itching scalp and decrease in sex drive ( I also apparently cant type-ha ha). On levothyroxide, methrotrexate and arava for long standing RA, BP meds and atorvastatin for years. I cant figure what has changed. also on clorazapate for anxiety (dialysis RN for many yrs). Former smoker.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication side effect

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your medical challenges.

Arava can cause hair loss and on occasion even swelling in feet. Methotrexate can cause hair loss in addition to reducing sex drive (libido0.
Discuss these potential side effects with the prescribing doctor, who is likely to be your Rheumatologist.
Clorazepate can decrease libido as well.