• question-icon

Suggest remedy for high BP

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I don't normally have high blood pressure although sometimes my bottom number will be slightly high. Over the last few days I've noticed some symptoms of high blood pressure. Today I checked it because my face is burning and I don't feel right. It was 124/90 and my heart rate was 93. I also have anxiety and I'm prescribed clonazepam for it but I don't lie taking them unless I absolutely need to and it usually feels more like my blood pressure. Why is it always my bottom number that stays high and what should I do until I can see a Dr.?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A beta blocker control the blood pressure and symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Anxiety increases your stress hormones and heart rate and this is likely to be the main reason for your elevated blood pressure. A small dose of beta blocker like concor is sufficient to control your pulse rate, blood pressure and any throbbing sensation in the head you might have.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 24 minutes later
Ok I can get a 2.5 mg of lisinopril to take from my father if you think that will help until I can see a doctor. My question though is why is it always the bottom number that's high? Should I go ahead and take one of my clonazepam?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to constriction of blood vessels. Avoid addiction to Clonazepam

Detailed Answer:
Your high blood pressure is likely to be due to stress and the stress hormone Noradrenaline constricts blood vessels raising the diastolic blood pressure ( lower number ). Clonazepam is an anxiety reducing medicine but frequent use can cause addiction.
Lisinopril decreases blood pressure by mechanism other than reducing the effects of stress hormones. So you may still have palpitations and head throbbing even though the blood pressure is normal.
Beta blockers reduce these symptoms also.
Dr. Noble Zachariah