• question-icon

Suggest remedy for high BP and pain in left arm and chest

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I normally have low blood pressure my blood pressure has shot up to 179 over 95 and just now its 160 over 135. Having some pain behind left breast for a few hours and experienced pain in my left arm. minor pain not crushing or severe. I lifted some boxes yesterday, which might explain the chest pain just not sure of the blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go to the ER:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

A systolic (the lower number) blood pressure over 120 is considered hypertensive crisis. You need to go to the ER to have your blood pressure lowered in a controlled setting. Also, women can have atypical symptoms when having heart ischemia (inadequate oxygen to the heart or heart attack symptoms) and the pain in your left chest and arm need to be looked into while in the ER. It may be muscle overuse, but given the whole picture, cardiac causes need to be ruled out.

So please don't delay. Go in to the ER now. I can provide more information if you'd like after you have been evaluated there.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh