Suggest remedy for heart palpitations caused by Vyvanse

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hello I am a 00 y/o female currently attending grad school and has a history of Gen anxiety disorder and sinus tachycardia. I am prescribed 30 mg vyvanse XR for adhd and have recently started taking half a pill after being off it for some time. I also take 25 mg metoprolol tartrate for the tachycardia. So I take 15mg vyvanse daily give or take. I have been pretty sedentary for a while and weigh 167 pounds being 5'6''.I had an EKG less than a year ago that came out ok save for the occasional premature heartbeats I get daily and this was when I was told I had sinus tachycardia. I am also almost always dehydrated. I am writing because I am experiencing very cold legs/feet/hands and sweating although my skin is cold. I also have twinges on pain in my chest and left shoulder however I can't tell if this is due to my poor sleeping position (I sleep with my shoulder curled in). I also feel a kind of pressure in my ears and teeth clenching. My heart rate is pretty steady and maintaining a bpm of 86-90. I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about heart wise? Or if these symptoms are a problem, I only have mild discomfort but my shoulder is so achy. let me know! Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms seem to be related to vyvanse intake.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms may be related to vyvanse intake.

I would like to know the reason, why you have been prescribed this drug.

You should know that this drug is a stimulant of the central nervous system, which can exacerbate anxiety symptoms, cause or exacerbate tachycardia, insomina and all the other symptoms that you describe.

I would recommend you to discuss with your attending physician the possibility of stopping vyvanse and switching to another therapy.

Besides, I would also recommend starting an anxiolytic therapy (short term therapy) and discuss with your doctor the possibility of starting an antidepressant as a long therm therapy, to help you manage your anxiety.

Psychotherapy, yoga, meditation, recreational sports and physical activity are also useful in facing with anxiety symptoms.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions, whenever you need!

Best regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
Alright, I did state in my post that I have adhd. I have also developed anxiety long after being prescribed this medication. I was hoping I could get an answer on whether or not I should be worried about these symptoms I'm experiencing in regards to the vyvanse, I am not feeling anxious and I am not having an anxiety attack. Was just wondering if mild pain and cold sweat was normal. Thank you.
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to worry about.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information provided.

Yes, it is normal to have these symptoms while on vyvanse.

From the other hand the shoulder pain could be related to a wrong position during sleeping.

There is nothing to worry about.

I would recommend performing a lot of physical exercise, to reinforce your muscles and help you with anxiety too.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri