Suggest remedy for heart palpitations and difficulty in breathing

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Just as I am starting to fall asleep and feeling comfortably relaxed I suddenly sit bolt upright with sensation of not breathing and not being able to make myself breathe for maybe 2-3 seconds. My heart is pounding and it's a terrifying sensation. I have had this very occasionally over past few years sometimes the sensation is less intense but it always occurs in the first few minutes of falling asleep. I am 69 and have no cardiac history and relatively healthy but do suffer from GAD.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GAD is quite possibly the cause, please do respond

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I would like to ask only one question before we can go ahead with our discussion:

+What is your level of stress/anxiety on a scale from 0 to 5; 0 being absolutely nil and 5 being extremely stressed

I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you further.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 30 minutes later
Usually 3-5 but at nite often closer to 5
I have chronic insomnia and find it hard to shut down my mind/thinking despite being very tired
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety the sole culprit in this case ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you for your response.

A common symptom or also called sleep paralysis is commonly seen in women who experience higher than normal levels of stress. I would thus attribute your presentation to your high stress or anxiety levels and would recommend you seek treatment for the anxiety.

Medications are usually best but in the meantime some breathing exercises can help you relax and get some shut eye. I can understand how not getting enough sleep can add to the anxiety and make you think about all that is stressing you out even more, which is why I recommend adequate management of your stress and anxiety.

I hope you find my response helpful, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 22 hours later
I have been doing breathing exercises for many years. Also have tried hypnosis in past and have been for sessions with a psychologist on and off. I have been taking Zopiclone nightly for many years also but lately not very effective. Although anxious during day I function well and keep busy however at nite no matter how tired I may be I can't seem to shut off my brain so readily.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May require the addition of medications to regimen

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

Zopiclone has been prescribed to help with your insomnia, but does not seem to be doing much for you now possibly because the root problem is different. Anxiety should be treated with medication, and the sleep paralysis that you are developing/developed may require the use of anti-depressants.

I would either way recommend a visit to your psychiatrist or psychologist who seems to be trying his/her best to avoid prescribing anti-depressants or anti-anxiety drugs; but may be it is time to change that now.

Please also do not hesitate to write back to me for any help, you know you can always rely on me.

Best wishes.