• question-icon

Suggest remedy for hearing loss in left ear

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I woke up one week ago completely deaf in my left ear. I had no hearing loss prior to that time and no trauma related. Saw Doctor that day and was prescribed antihistamine...didn't help so went back and was put on prednisone...will finish that on tuesday but no improvement. No infection or buid up. What is my next step?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ISSNHL.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. ISSNHL (Idiopathic Sudden Sensori-Neural Hearing Loss) is defined by a hearing loss of more than 20-30 dB in at least three contiguous hearing frequencies which develops either immediately or over 48-72 hours. Usually, it happens in one ear, usually the left ear. The reasons for this and the overall cause is often unknown, hence it is known as 'idiopathic'.

2. ISSNHL is a medical emergency. Ideally the treatment should be started within 4 weeks.

3. The mainstay of treatment of ISSNHL (Idiopathiic Sudden Sensori-Neural Hearing Loss) in a non diabetic patient is high dose steroids. Other medication includes anti-virals, blood thinning agents, rheologic or blood flow improvement medications, neural tonics, Carbogen (vasodilator) and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT), if available.

4. For those who cannot tolerate the above medication or for salvage treatment, TTS (Trans-Tympanic Steroids) and HBOT is strongly recommended.

5. Upload a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram).

6. It is important to note that about half the patients get some spontaneous recovery in the first few weeks. However, waiting for this is not advised.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist