Suggest remedy for headache and high BP after missing a dose of Metoprolol

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband has high blood pressure and takes 25MG of Metoprolol ER. He forgot to take his medication last night and woke up with a massive headache. He took his medication at 8:45am. He took a second pill at 10:00am. He still has the headache and his blood pressure is currently at 187/77. He is not showing any signs of a stroke, drooping mouth, drooping eye(s), slurred speech or anything like that. Should I give him another pill or is this something different we are dealing with?
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
take him to ER / get him examined

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

He needs examination; probably investigation too; GET HIM EXAMINED
     Upping the dose can help – but not much… The dose is up to 200 mg but it can bring down the heart rate and depress the heart function, if borderline
     Another drug from another class is the usual approach. This one is a Beta-blocker. Generally a diuretic (water pill, like thiazide) / ACEI (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme Inhibitor like Ramipril) or ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker like Olmesartan)
Most people need 2 or 3 drugs for proper control
     Needs EKG, Blood tests (kidney, electrolytes) as routine. At times, more tests – hormones, like epinephrine - are done if the rise is episodic

Good luck
God bless you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D