Suggest remedy for hair loss, breathing issues and TSH level of 44.14

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,
I am suffering from hypothyroidism. Its found then in blood test my TSH level is 44.14. I am suffering from heavy hair loss, breathing problem, lack of sleep and gaining weights too. My doctor prescribes me to have Thyronorm 100mg. Please suggest which are the foods to be avoided and the side effects of this disease and the medicine which i am having now.
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. Thanks for posting the question.

Hypothyroidism is under active thyroid in which your thyroid is not producing enough thyroid hormones (T3 & T4). So your thyroid stimulating hormone is high (TSH). The treatment is hormone replacement with Thyronorm (T4).

The symptoms of hair loss, breathing problem, gaining weight and high cholesterol are due to hypothyroidism.

Diet:
It depends on the cause. Two test we usually do are:
1. Anti TPO antibody
2. Ultrasound scanning of thyroid

There can be two main causes of hypothyroidism.
1. Hashimoto's (auto immune) - in which antibodies are high and ultrsound is showing thyroiditis
2. Iodine deficiency - less common cause

Diet modification is needed only in iodine deficiency hypothyroidism - You have to take diet rich in iodine like sea foods, iodized salt etc and decrease the intake of cabbage, cauliflower and tapioca.

In Hashimoto's no diet modification is needed.

Once treated properly hypothyroidism is not associated with any problems. The medication (Thyronorm) is relatively safe. Some may have gastritis, giddiness or palpitation after the medications.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr Ajish TP
Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist