question-icon

Suggest remedy for growing lump on the ear

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: My son had a small pea sized ball 2 years ago on his scapha of his ear and now it has grown to a marble. He is currently incarcirated and dr. In the prison said "I don't know what it is"! I know it's something?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Pseudocyst of the (auricle) pinna / Caulifower Ear.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. An image would be helpful. From your description, this seems to be a Pseudocyst of the auricle (pinna) which enlarges to give an appearance of a Cauliflower Ear.

2. This usually follows a minor trauma to the external ear (auricle/pinna) especially during contact sports such as wrestling, martial arts, boxing and so on.

3. Treatment is drainage of the fluid or blood collected between the skin and cartilage with a drain and pressure bandage/ button for a 2-3 weeks. Sometimes further surgery may be done for recurrent pseudocysts.

4. Treatment is for cosmetic reasons to prevent further increase and deformity. This is benign condition and does not require urgent treatment.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist