• question-icon

Suggest remedy for genital warts

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi
I have been told I have genital warts. The problem erupting after a series of abscesses issue that I had. I have been prescribed tretinoin 0.05. But i am paranoid because its been almost 4 weeks and I see very less progress.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an Image; tretinoin is not effective for genital warts

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area so that I am able to confirm whether they are warts or not and hence guide you better.
You may upload an Image either at "Reports Section" Or You may mail me at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line as Attention:Dr.Kakkar.

Tretinoin cream is not a standard treatment for genital warts. It may cause irritation. Various treatment options that can be used for genital warts are podophyllin toxin or podophylotoxin resin, imiquimod 5% cream, cryotherapy i.e cryofreezing with liquid nitrogen, chemical cauterisation with trichloroacetic acid (TCA), electrosurgery Or Laser etc. These are doctor administered remedies and I suggest that you visit a dermatologist for the needful

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
This was suggested by my dermatologist. Also I understand that it is an STD but I am confused how I contracted it because I am in a monogamous relationship and my husband has no symptoms of genital warts.
I will upload the images in the reports section right away.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggest either Cryotherapy or Imiquimod

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you. I have reviewed the Images.

Yes, these are genital warts i.e Condyloma acuminata.
The best thing would be to either get them Freezed with liquid Nitrogen i.e Cryotherapy Or use Imiquimod 5% cream.
Tretinoin cream won't work for genital warts.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Do both the images indicate genital warts? Also is there any other way I would have contracted it apart from sexually as my husband has no symptoms? Also what is the reccurrence rate? My cbc report says that my lymphocytes count is low so can this be a reason for genital warts as my immunity is low? We plan on starting a family soon and I dont want to pass this on to my spouse or child so what are the best possible ways? I reside in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX so it will be great if you could suggest some creams that are available here or maybe even a dermatologist I can visit.
Apologies for the enormous amount of questions.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers to specific queries

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, these are genital warts. It is an infection caused by Hpv (Human papilloma virus)
Warts are only transmitted through sexual contact. If your only sexual contact has always been with your husband then you must have acquired from him. Genital Hpv infection can be asymptomatic. However, if you have had sexual contacts other than your husbands then you may have acquired it from someone else.
Genital warts can recur but the infection is ultimately cured in most patients after treatment.
cbc report with low lymphocyte counts could be a predisposing factor to allow the infection to set in.
I would advice you to get them removed by visiting a dermatologist. warts can increase in size during pregnancy and can be passed on to neonate during normal vaginl delivery. Of course you can pass it on to your husband through sexual intercourse.
I don't have any particular reference of a dermatologist in banglore but you can visit any dermatologist of your choice and in your vicinity.
There are no over the counter creams for warts. Only prescription products that I suggested earlier.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist