Suggest remedy for genital herpes infection

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My wife told me she has genital herpes and has had it for twenty years. Says she got it from her first husband. We have been married for 18 years but I have never been infected. Is this possible and what are the chances of me getting the infection down the road.
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HI and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
It doesnt mean that you have not been infected since herpes infection may occur without outbreaks or symptoms. Herpes may be dormant in body for lifetime without signs or it can reoccur with more or less outbreaks during life.
Also, if your wife didnt have outbreaks during these 18 years,then you may not be infected at all. Third possiblity is that your wife was infectious but you developed immunity for this type of virus and in this case you cant be infected for the rest of life. I would say that for every if these 3 scenarios, the possibility is 33%. To be sure, you can do specific blood tests for herpes,but if you dont have signs,then there is no need for testing.