Suggest remedy for flu and unintentional weight loss
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth causing weight loss
Thanks for the query
I am happy that you have got all the investigations done and that everything is normal.
It is the small intestinal bacterial overgrowth that is causing weight loss however the other tests to be done are Serum cortisol, S testosterone and whole body PET scan.
For SIBO I suggest
1. Eat a cup of plain yoghurt everyday, it acts as a probiotic
2. Probiotics in the form of tablets like Tab Sprorolac, VSL-3 are useful, they have to be taken for 3 months
3. Eat smaller meals and carbohydrate rich diet
4. Avoid high intensity cardiovascular exercises
I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me
Are you familiar with bacterial overgrowth? you can't eat a carbohydrate rich diet because apparently it will feed off the bacteria and not my body. However, I am not having specific symptoms to SIBO (at least not digestive). I am experiencing more fatigue, weight loss, breaking out in the face, slow cut healing probably from low zinc and soft/loose stool with undigested food, sometimes bloating/gas, post-nasal drip. I need a specialist that can help with my symptoms and provide me some medical professional feedback so I can ask my doctor to conduct additional testing.
Thanks for getting back
I am familiar with SIBO, it is quite common in my country and I treat it all the time. In your case I don't think one should restrict carbs as you are already losing weight. The bacteria eating off the carbs is just a hypothesis.
I think you need more investigations done. Please get ANA, XXXXXXX and a whole body PET scan as well. I would also biopsy the colon and the gastric mucosa to rule out malabsorption syndromes . If these tests come back as negative too, i recommend you to meet a dietician for changes in your diet. Please don't worry too much about SIBO, follow the instructions I have given you in my earlier post, it will definitely help you.
I know it must be very annoying not to get a diagnosis, if I were to be your doctor I would have admitted you for a complete body check up. Opd basis diagnosis is a little hard.
I am very worried because i thought my weight loss was due to HIV, but after 4 negative test results within 6 months, it should be ruled out right? My doctor said the 4th generation test is 99.9% accurate at 90 days and I tested negative almost at 4 months and then again after 6 months. So you will agree that my weight loss is due to SIBO?
All doctors have become very scared and they only give information on whats available on papers. I feel we have come to a point that we forget we are treating patients and not figures or results.
If at 6 months you have undergone 4th generation tests for HIV then rest assured you do not have HIV, dont worry about it.
Your weight loss could be due to the following
2. Diet related weight loss
3. Malabsorption syndrome
The ideal doctor to meet would be a gastroenterologist
I feel a lil bit more calmed after speaking to you. I will continue speaking with my Gastroenterologist and follow your advice on those other testing to rule out any other health issues. To be honest, for the past few months, I have thought about malabsorption syndrome since my stool have undigested food and the weight loss does not appear to be HIV related. I have a follow-up appointment with the GI doctor to obtain the results from the biopsy of the colonoscopy. I will ask to do further testing as you recommended.
Thank you so much for your professional feedback.
Thanks for the kind words, it's always nice to hear sweet feedbacks
Please don't forget to get back to me regarding what your gastroenterologist had to say, in the meantime I will speak to the GI doctors of my hospital as well
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest ideas for weight loss
- Suggest medication for weight loss and pain
- Suggest treatment for weight loss
- Ancient remedies for weight loss
- Suggest plan for weight loss management
- Unintentional weight loss after pregnancy
- What is the suggested medication for weight loss
- What treatment is suggested for weight loss
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and weight loss
- Unintentional weight loss reasons with diabetes type 1
- Blood test showing abnormal WBCs, neutrophils, lymphocytes, alkaline...
- Sperm test found to have very severe oligoteratozoo with severe...
- Pain in back. Is cold the cause & what medication?
- Advised for gall bladder, hydrosil and prostrate gland enlargement...
- Dizziness, pressure in ears and noise while swallowing after child...
- Blurred vision, pain & dry eyes,flashing lights in eye, menopausal &...
- Old and out of shape. Heart rate races after strenuous exercise. Use a...
- My urine really stinks. Why would this happen?
- Pain in the head, pulsing sound in ears, back pain. Serious issue?
- Sore and achy around heart. Fluctuates throughout the day. Why would...