Suggest remedy for flat stool caused by internal hemorrhoids
Please give details.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate salient points: Female/37 - consulted a Doctor - advise to take Dulcolax for constipation - also had examination and told have internal hemorrhoids - experiencing **flat stool for some time now - taking Dulcolax every second day - stool sample negative for blood - wants to know whether to stop Dulcolax and try Metamucil to bulk the stools or need further investigations.
I would like to know a few details please:
- Since you are taking Duclolax every second day, is it sufficient for you to have normal bowel movement in terms of quantity, consistency and ease of evacuation?
- Do you take natural high fiber diet as green leafy vegetables daily?
- Is there any food or beverage that helps in normal evacuation or cause constipation?
- What do you mean by flat stools? Is it ribbon like or so?
- What are the other symptoms that you have related to bowel or any other system, any associated medical problems?
Please give details so that I can understand the problem better and we can discuss further.
eafy salads. i was drinking prune juice daily on doctors advice but it was getting a bit hard to tolerate. i know i have heamoroids as they pain. i also have experienced a pain in mu lower left side. ive had both internal and external ultrasound done and results were normal. the doctor prescribed me a 3 month dose of bacterim antibiotics that seemed to clear up the problem as it was thought to be diverticulitis. i still get pain only sometimes and it resolves it self quite quickly.
Thanks for your feedback.
You do not have normal stools even on Dulcolax, consistent of 6 on Bristol stool chart - that is fluffy pieces with ragged edges- a mushy stool.
Leafy salads cause constipation.
Drank Prune juice daily but hard to tolerate.
You know that you have hemorrhoids as they pain> Hemorrhoids do not pain anytime unless thrombosed, this means you have some other problem that is causing the pain.
There is pain on the left lower side.
Internal and external Ultrasonography was normal.
Doctor prescribed you a 3 month course of Bacterim > Is this Bactrim or something else, please tell me the composition of the medicine.
Diverticulosis and if inflamed are called diverticulits can be diagnosed well only on Colonoscopy and CT scan of he abdomen. This should be done in all suspected cases.
I think you also need to undergo colonoscopy.
Stool on one side getting flat indicates something in the rectum or anal canal that gives such a stool and proctoscopy and per-rectal examination can help to know the problem
Hence you need further investigations. And surely you can try Metamucil as directed on the packaging or supplied with it. Worth trying as results are also needed.
Take full normal diet barring the foods and beverages which you must have noticed to cause the problems.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Internal hemorrhoid treatment
- Blood in stool stomach pain internal hemorrhoids help
- Preparation h internal hemorrhoids
- Anal internal hemorrhoids causes
- Internal hemorrhoids causes
- Can internal hemorrhoids cause tail bone pain
- Internal hemorrhoid symptoms and treatment
- Internal hemorrhoids symptoms stool size
- Prolapsed internal hemorrhoid treatment
- Hydro cortisone internal hemorrhoids