• question-icon

    Suggest remedy for flank pain on left side and blood detected in urinalysis

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I saw my doctor today regarding pain in my flank on my left side. which I had about a week ago, andl also for the results of a urinalysis.
It didn't show any infection in the urine, but there was some blood in the urine, which I had contacted one of the doctor's about at "ask a doctor" last week. I told my doctor that I was going for a follow-up ultrasound for liver cysts on the 1st of April, and wondered if she could maybe send a request over to the hospital to do an ultrasound of the bladder, ureters, and kidneys at the same time, as the gastroenterologist is just doing the upper abdomen. I also had an enterrococcus infection a few months ago during which time I had extreme flank pain on that same side. This has been twice now.

Anyway, my doctor said that they don't do kidney ultrasounds to find out if you have kidney stones anyway. I did have a CT scan done six months ago, but it said that it didn't show any calculi in the kidneys at all. When I had gone to hospital a few months back about infection the doctor there gave me a prescription for the infection, and also mentioned that I had probably passed a kidney stone as well, according to what I had told him.

All in all, my doctor is not suggesting any type of follow-up to find out what this pain is from, and said to just come to her if it happens again, or else go to the hospital.

I am wondering what to do now, as the doctor at Ask A Doctor had suggested getting a kidney ultrasound done. Very confused so wondered if one of the doctor's there has any other advice regarding this. This is a new doctor now
that I have and have only been with her for about six months. Your advice would be much appreciated. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to do either Ultrasound Scanning or C.T Scan of abdomen,

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query .

Pain in flank with presence of blood detected in urine analysis is always suspected to be due stone in kidney and has to be ruled out by doing either C,T Scan or Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen .

Normally in our country it is being done without any hesitation ,However I can not make any comment about why your Dr is reluctant to get it done .

We at health care magic can not make any comments about the opinion of other consultant or your family physician .

You have to request her again .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention in my last email that the CT scan that was done six months ago was for the follow-up on liver cysts. The gastroenterologist had ordered it. I had just noticed in my copy of the results that it said that there was no calculi in the kidneys noted.

My doctor just said today that she didn't think I had kidney stones anyway. Very strange in my opinon. I would think she would suggest some sort of follow up then to find out what this is coming from. How do I know that it is not from the bowel or whatever on that side. Looks like maybe I should look for a new doctor.

When I went to her and had asked about a previous urinalysis with Leukocytes of 250 she just said it was nothing to worry about.

Then a few weeks later I got that pain in my side, along with high fever, then went to hospital the day I had the severe pains, and that is when doctor said I had infection and also that I had probably passed a kidney stone.

Not too happy right now, so will have to decide what I am going to do.

I just wanted to ask a question regarding the questions and answers on line. Can anyone see what my questions or answers have been, or just myself. That is very important to me, so would appreciate an answer on that.

Many thanks,
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No person other than you can read the answers posted by us.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up .

What was reported in your previous C,T Scan was being taken 6 months back hence has very little significance in present context .

The pain in flank and RBC in urine need to be investigated .You can consult other Dr for opinion and get the scan done to be sure about kidney stone .

As regards your query about privacy of answers directed to you I would make clear to you what ever suggestions or opinion that we Dr at health care magic give are mailed to your personal E- Mail ID, so no one can have access to these answers .

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 10183 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Flank pain

doctor1 MD

Hi, I've been having random sharp pains on right abdominal side. Been feeling it for months. Hurts when lying on right side or wear tight fitting...

doctor1 MD

I am having cloudy urine with a strong odor

doctor1 MD

I am concerned about my general health due to an antidepressant I am taking for OCD called Luvox; if not for this worry, I would want to continue...

doctor1 MD

A dark purple almost quarter size bruise appeared under my wifes lower lip in the centre where a man would have hair in the centre. It appeared...

doctor1 MD

i have chronic flank pain, had kidney stone surgery in april 2011, never had any issues til now. i had ct scan and no stones, however now going for...

doctor1 MD

I went to the ER per my doctors orders, I am having right flank pain(history of stones) and severe mid abdominal pain. I've thrown up multiple...

doctor1 MD

My symptoms are all over the board. I have low back pain which radiated to my left hip. I went to a doctor who took xrays and said I have a bone...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

154 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. P. T. Patil
  • Q - Have stomach pain, fever and loose stool. On omniprzole and ciplox. Any...

  • Q - Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on...

  • Q - On medication for BP, body pain and frequent urination. Getting weakness...

  • Q - Having pain in testicle and noticed dark skin on it. What to do?

  • Q - Took medication for neurological problem and never had a desire for...

  • Q - Experiencing prolonged menstrual periods. What to do?

  • Q - Have increase frequency and urgency of urination. Any treatment?

  • Q - Why does my penis look small when not erect?

  • Q - Having on and off mouth ulcer. What is causing this and how to get rid...

  • Q - Noticed movable lump on the side of abdomen. What could it be?