Suggest remedy for fever and vomiting in an infant

Dr. Jignesh Gorasia

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My baby is 20 days old and his body tempetature is 98.8 - 99 deg. Is this fever or matter of concern? I checked his temperature bcoz he was having gas and he vomitted his milk. My baby is on breastfeed and nan pro1 by bottle.
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry, its absolutely normal...

Detailed Answer:
First of all, congrats for your baby and i can understand your concern for your baby and be assured that i will solve your problem.
First of all, newborn infants are usually having slightly higher temperature than adults and anything less than 100 is normal, but if the temperature goes beyond 100, then one needs to be concerned. So in your case, you don't need to worry at all, as temperature is absolutely normal. Infact, hypothermia is the major concern in newborns, so if temperature goes below 97, then you need to be concerned. Slight higher temperature is due to baby's developing immune system.
Gas problem is again very common in infants and some times it can make baby crying, but one should not worry much, because it can resolve by itself. You should burp him every time after feeding. Some amount of vomiting can also occur normally and again no need to worry.
Remember, if the baby is feeding well, urinating at least 5 to 6 times a day, defecating at least once in 5 days and gaining weight normally, then one should not worry about baby.
Hope this answers your question and let me know if you are having any further relevant queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T