Suggest remedy for fast recovery from myocarditis

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My Younger brother 18 YRS OF AGE was admitted in the hospital due to Myocarditis in a very serious condition of heart just functioning less than 15% and now it has come up to 25-30 % after checking via ECHO. he was admitted in the ICU he started recovering and has lost most of the problems that he had before of shortness of breath, fever and dry cough. He is taking medicines as prescribed. And now we are taking him home.

My question to you is what all can we do for his heart to recover fast apart from the medication and also is it really safe to take him home with his heart at 30% age ?also if you could please help me to know if he is out of danger completely.
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He is out of danger and fit for discharge

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxx, Nice to hear from you again and happy to know that your brother is fit for discharge.
As I had mentioned before as the heart is in recovery phase, it will improve further in due course of time. Also in most probability we are looking forward towards complete recovery.

Yes he is fit for discharge as the further course should be benign and only he has to be kept on medication. Staying in hospital will increase changes of cross infection, which in your brothers case is not good.
Care to be taken at home.
1) though all routine activities are allowed at home and workplace , avoid very strenuous activities as we would like to give complete rest to the heart.
2) keep fluid restriction at around 1.5 let's per day in initial two weeks, than may gradually increase according heart recovery.
3) diet rich in antioxidant, like vegetables, fresh fruits, nuts, fish, supplement like flax seeds, cod fish capsule, krill oil, a multi vitamin which contains minerals like chromium, selenium etc for whatever benefit we may achieve.
4) in medication. Atleast two drugs according to his pulse and blood pressure
1) beta blocker, carvedilol preferred, metoprolol, bisoprolol
2) ace inhibitors /arb.
Enalapril / ramipril /losartan /telmisartan or any from the group
3) diuretic as needed.
With the above precautions, hopefully he would do good.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Priyank Mody 14 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Really it was great to hear from you again. You are really helping our family a lot Thanking you again. I will soon get back to you with the reports so that you can study it a bit in detail and I promise we will take care of him well at home since my mother has worked with doctors for long enough to know things.

In his myocarditis he was having some leak also in his heart which again the doctors said has reduced. We did his ECHO 3 TIMES in three days and it has not changed much but on the outside he looks better.

Also another thing I would like you to know is that he feels like eating a lot maybe it is because of his medication. So how safe is it to give him non veg since he loves non veg and food like KFC or chicken wraps and sandwiches?

Thanks Again.
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wishing him speedy recovery

Detailed Answer:
I am happy I could help,
As I close, I would again wish to reassure you that the leak is functional, and it's due to the pumping going down. So due to dilation of heart, the valves cannot approximate completely leading to leak, so there is no damage to the valves and as the pumping will improve the leak will stop.
As these things don't occur so quickly doing exho everyday will not help, rather it will increase the anxiety of the family and the patient. If clinically patient is improving directly repeat echo after 1 month.
Lastly no problem of him taking KFC chicken till its in moderation.
Wishing him healthy recovery.
You may directly contact me through HCM by Http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-priyank-mody/70273
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T