Suggest remedy for facial bloating and persistent headache caused by thrombosis

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi i desprately need help. My sister is 23-24 years and she is on seriously ill. Her case was identified as Thrombosis in National hospital in Nigeria some 12-13months ago with platelets below 5. The 1st drug used was prednisone and current one is azathioprine. She has undergone 5-6 platelet transfusion and 1 fresh blood transfussion.

She has got an anti-body which has eluded dsicovery in nigeria. Her bone marrow was tested and certified all clear, CT scan showed no abnormality or whatsoever. Yet her platelet kips eroding inspite of the transfusion, prescriptions and concise/strict adherence to advised feeding pattern.

Current drug is causing her complications, bloatness and facial swelling, lss of voice, persistent headache and numbness of limb. Please help me look into this as I cannot use my US medical insurance to get her to come see a doctor in the US. We have exhausted all savings for medical bills in Nigeria and the Doctors dont seem to know what to do. Can you please guide me. ANy help will be appreciated. The next prescritpion that has been issuede is Eltrombopag 50mg if that helps.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
?ITP with anemia of Unknown Origin/Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query to HCM.
I studied your query meticulously.

Based on the incomplete facts of your query,She seems to be suffering from ?ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic Purpura )with anaemia? and she is in critical but recoverable condition,as your doctors are taking proper care there in Nigeria.

Please update me the -Blood profile tests done for the bleeding tendency like Prothrombin time etc.
Also update her hemogram and platelet counts to asses, if further suggestions could be given.
Without any medical reports,its a very difficult job for Me to suggest any help to your sister.

Don't get panicky,Keep Cool.Your sister is in good hands.Only because she is suffering from last 12-13 months,her body reserves are depleted and need special care for a bit more period.And from whatever facts you submitted in last query, doctors there doing there best.You only have to be patient and co-operate with the doctors there in Nigeria.

Awaiting above information and any further query, which could be reviewed in the next interaction session.
Welcome for any further query in this regard, to be reviewed in the next session.

Would love to help you out, even though it is very challenging task, in the absence of the above information.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Thank you for your help Dr. Savaskar. I will seek the information you requested and get back to you. I have also looked into the most recent prescription: Eltrombopag 50mg and it is quite expensive outside of insurance. Any ideas or sugestions on how to go about the prescription?
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-(after updates)?ITP with anemia of Unknown Origin/Under Investigation

Hi,thanks for the proactive step and response to help out your Sister from you.

Q-about -How to go about the prescription?
Your local treating doctors in Nigeria,would be better source of these supplies from the local pharmacies of the Hospital in Nigeria.
Take care and keep me updated

Hope this reply would satisfy you and help you to plan further treatment of this unknown complex ITP with low platelets.

Keep Me updated on the progress of your case after investigations,by a direct question to ME at HCM and I would love to help you out in time to come on this issue.

Wishing fast recovery to your Sister.

Will appreciate You,writing your excellent feedback review comments, to help needy patient visitors like you,at HCM services.

Good Day!!

Dr.SavasKar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar