Suggest remedy for extreme pain in thumb post surgery

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I had my right thumb operated on 17 days ago. they took a ligament from the inside
of my arm and I have an incision under the base of my thumb. I have a plastic shield and a cloth stocking covering the stitches, I am in a lot of pain and can't sleep at night.
They took me off Percocet and now I am on Tylenol,3 every four hours
I do have a dr. appointment on the 20th but would like to know what kind of surgery I had,
what to expect as recovery time and could the Tylenol be making me sick to my stomach?
I thought I had surgery for carpel tunnel,but after talking with others who had that my incisions are completely different. I will go to physical the ray next week
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The wound usually recovers in 2 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
In carpal tunnel syndrome, usually a release procedure is done to cut the tight fascia. In your case it seems that a shortened tendon has been lengthened with the help of a graft. Your surgeon can tell ion details about the procedure that he has followed.
The pain that you are having can be due to the procedure or a minor nerve compression in the area due to local swelling. Usually the wound heals in 2 weeks and the pain also subsides by then.
Tylenol is a safe analgesic as far as gastric acidity is concerned. It does not cause the stomach sickness.
Doing a hot compress can relieve the pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal