• question-icon

Suggest remedy for excessive throat pain after an episode of choking

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: from the past few days,I was having excessive throat pain while swallowing.

Last week I had some few cold drinks and choked a bit while having a high spicy food whic =h caused severe pain in my throat.

Answered by Dr. Deepak 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Immediate ENT consultation required.

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.
I have gone through your post and understand your concern.

Excessive pain after an episode of choking may be due to Impacted food particle or Due to Non healing ulcer( i.e. you could have sustained an injury during choking, when you are trying to forcefully breath out).

Since it is present since last week, and is still painful, it may not respond to Over the counter medications( as you would have tried it).

I would suggest you to immediately consult your ENT specialist for detailed examination as there could be chance of another episode of choking (if there is impaction) because the food particle may enter deep down your wind pipe.

You may need Laryngoscopic examination ( painless, done under local anaesthetic).

Impacted particle can be removed by an expert and non healing ulcer should be treated with proper antibiotic, adequate rest, liquid/ semisolid food ( avoid soild food and hot fluids), and an antacid.

Kindly do not delay to meet your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Deepak
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Deepak