Suggest remedy for excessive sweating in an elderly person

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 7 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: What would cause an 83 yr. old man to have night sweats on the torso and arms? He has bee treated for Myodysplasia since Feb and his platelets are now normal range. Had chemo since Feb. to Oct. Feels good otherwise. Controlled type 2 diabetes for years. Pinched nerve in back last week and is having therapy.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is a common sign and symptom of cancer!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this night sweats that you have reported. Night sweats are known to be common with cancers and it is therefore not surprising giving the fact he's being treated for cancer. For now, I will recommend that the doctors re-evaluate to make sure the cancer is not relapsing if this persists.

In all, symptoms of cancer and will recommend that the doctors review to make sure there is no relapse occurring.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 56 minutes later
My husband was never diagnosed with cancer unless Myelodysplasia IS cancer. He had a series of 5 treatments per month for it, to bring his platelets up, for 9 mos. and Oct. was, maybe, the last. He will have bloodwork done, as per usual, before another treatment. Thus I'm surprised at the cancer diagnoses. Wouldn't it have shown up on a site somewhere when they did so many tests and Xrays in Feb.when he entered hosp.?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is a huge risk factor for cancer of the bone marrow!

Detailed Answer:

This is the beginning stages of a possible cancer of the blood cells. I will suggest that the doctors go ahead and evaluate fully. Cancer of the blood is not seen on imaging because they are not solid but made of free flowing cells. It may not be cancer per se but constitutes a high risk factor for blood cancers.

Let me know what your immediate take is. I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 hours later
TY. I remember seeing XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on GMA when she was donated her sister's cells and now seems to be doing very well. Seems that Leukemia was mentioned in some of the literature I perused about his condition but only as a possibility. Does this seem like something we will have to contend with and at age 83, what grain of hope would you have for his family. He was a very active man for his age and right now is rec. therapy for a pinched nerve in his back and seems to be responding. He has an appt. on 10-21 for an MRI and will see his oncologist on 10-29 for further evaluation as to whether to continue the treatments he's been receiving since Feb. Should I try to see the Dr. before that or just wait? Thank you for your helpful and clear replies.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep the dates...There is no emergency!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for these details.

Like I mentioned earlier, it is good to get her re-evaluated. Dysplasia is a step closer to cancer and special attention has to be paid to this. For this reason, I will like to see the possibility of cancer especial leukemias excluded.

Also, continue the therapy for pinched nerve as already started. When fully evaluated, we will understand more and plan accordingly.

Until then, keep me updated.