Suggest remedy for excessive sleepiness and restless leg syndrome

Rheumatologist
Question
I am having unusual sleepiness during the day after being alert. I am on 1000 mg metformin twice a day. I also have restless leg syndrome since I was 20 yrs old and on several different meds until I either broke thru them or they didn`t work for me. Neurologist thinks meripex cause of sleepiness put me on other meds.
Still sleepiness problem or legs worse. Now when I try to exercise, my legs ache and I have to cut it short. I walk three times a week for 1 hour at local mall.. Am unusually tired which is not normal for me. I am 79 years old.
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that you are still taking many medications that can cause sleepiness . Yes meripex which contains pramipexole may lead to this . You have rightly been prescribed vicodin (acetaminophen and hydrocodone) , it generally does not cause sedation .

There is a possibility of chronic fatigue syndrome stepping in and you need to discuss this possibility with your treating doctor . Plus metabolic profile is advisable , vitamin D levels , thyroid profile , calcium levels should also be checked as they can also give rise to excess of fatigue and pains all over body .

Dr. Shruti