Suggest remedy for eosinophilia

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: How to cure eosinophilia ?
I am 24 yrs old male and suffering from eosinophila for last 4 yrs. AEC/TEC is 470 IU/ml (two months ago) and IgE level (above 3200) was tested 3 yrs ago.
My grandfather (mom's dad) had something related coughing and breathing and led to death due scarcity of proper treatment. In childhood, I also had 4-5 pneumonia attack.
Sometimes in day -hours,When I exposed to dust or cold ,I sneeze extremely out of control and in nights, I face difficulty in breathing and can't sleep at all. I am using salmeterol and fluticasone propinate inhaler whenever feel hard to breath for last 1 yr. I am take diethylcarbamazine(Hetrazon or Bancide 100 mg) and montelukast and levocetirizine hydrochloride for last three and half yr neither level has been reduced.
I want an effective treatment and completely cure.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Allergic eosinophilia?Need further investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can certainly understand your concern.

As per your symptoms, you possibly seem to have Chronic allergic eosinophilia(a form of secondary eosinophilia).

The possibility of idiopathic hyper eosinophilic syndrome should always be ruled out(which is a form of primary eosinophilia)

The AEC is not significant enough to coin it as eosinophilia.

The elevated IgE can be a secondary response to allergic issues in your circulatory system.

Parasitic infections have to ruled out completely through following tests.

1. Nasal smear.
2. Sputum examination.
3. Examination of urinary sediment.
4. Stool examination for ova and parasites.
5. Pulmonary function tests.

These tests are actually indicated to find out the cause of allergy in your case and to help you out with accurate treatment.

Illogical use of Hetrazan is not warranted.

The management in your case is challenging.

Update me with test results and I will guide your accordingly.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T