Suggest remedy for ear congestion

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I fell and hit the left top of my head and nose on Sunday night. Upon waking up on Monday I have had a clogged left ear which is still continuing as well as pressure and a stuffing nose. I do not have any other symptoms, (i.e. dizziness, vision problems, headache, nausea, etc.). Is this worth getting checked out my a physician?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

First regarding brain related complications, the fact that you have no other signs is reassuring that there is no brain related trauma.
So the questions is whether there is any complication related to the nose, sinuses and ears. I consider it much probable that the issue is not related to the hit that you took, that it is a upper respiratory infection, like a flu, which can be associated with clogged ear because the middle ear cavity is connected to the back of your upper throat through what is called the Eustachian tube, so such infections can block this tube and lead to fluid accumulation in the ear.
A trauma related possibility may be if there has been some bleed in your sinuses or nasal cavity which might favor airway infection, but it is less likely and anyway usually no particular treatment is needed it reabsorbs gradually.

Anyway the initial management remains the same, over the counter nasal decongestants to help drainage. If symptoms persist unchanged for more than 5 days, or even earlier if there is some new sign such as fever, then perhaps you should be checked by a doctor as perhaps a course of antibiotics might be necessary.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 27 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Taka. Appreciate your assistance. I have not had any bleeding in the nose even when I did hit my nose. The right side of my nose is still sore to the touch but there is no bruising or swelling, my head where I hit is also tender. It has been three days with the clogged ear so if I do not experience any changes in the next two days I will go to the doctor to be sure nothing else is going on. At this point is more annoying and of course makes me worry something else is wrong. I have been taking cold medicine to help with the clogging unfortunately it is not providing much relief, the pain meds is helping with the head and nose ache.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the feedback.

I didn't mean external bleeding before. I meant bleeding in the skull cavities like in the sinuses, called hemosinus, which may become a source of sinusits, it's not something which you can see. As for the fact that your head is tender where you hit it, it is normal, do not worry as it doesn't indicate anything serious.
As I said and you seem to agree if symptoms persist you should visit your doctor.

I hope you will feel better soon.