• question-icon

Suggest remedy for dry mouth and soreness under tongue

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: Hi. I feel like I am constantly sucking on the back of my tongue. I do have dry mouth, but it is very irritating to the point that the underneath of my tongue is sore. Doctor and Dentist do not seem to know. I can't quite explain it.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you feel like there is a foreign particle there?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. I will like to know whether you have the sensation of a possible foreign body stuck there. also, have you ever had the impression of a hot liquid getting into your mouth from the stomach? Finally, what makes you think you have a dry mouth?

I hope to hear back from you and will factor these in so as to provide a well thought and helpful response to you.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 minute later
No. I do not feel like something is there. I was taking phentermine for weight loss and it caused dry mouth. I also take Lexapro and allergy meds which also caused it.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you have a solution to constantly sip and wet the mouth?

Detailed Answer:
HI,

I like to know if there is anything being done to relief the mouth dryness. This is because if nothing is done there is an increased risk of sucking and infections. There are solutions which can help to increase saliva secretion and relief you of this. I strongly recommend that you consider using them as long as you are on these medications which cause mouth dryness.

I wish you well. Please, keep me updated!
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 minutes later
I keep drinking water and I use a mouthwash for dry mouth, but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's difficult!

Detailed Answer:

This makes it difficult. I will suggest that you use impulse control mechanisms to avoid over sucking on the back of your tongue as this only makes the soreness worse. Also, try to sip as much as needed. If all these fail, I will advocate that your doctor switches these medications to those without similar side effects.

I hope this guides and let me know what the outcome and your thoughts are.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

Thanks for your kind words. Keep me posted about this.

I wish you well.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah