Suggest remedy for dry mouth and lips at night

ENT Specialist
Question
hi in the middle of the night i wake up with a very dry mouth and dry lips. is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mouth breathing...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query.

Mouth breathing is the commonly known cause of dryness of the throat during sleep.

Mouth breathing happens when the nose is blocked.

Mouth breathing takes away all the moisture from the oral cavity and throat making it dry.

The best solution for his is to drink lots of water and keeping yourself hydrated. You can use saline nasal spray before going to bed.

If the symptoms persist, consult your doctor for a complete examination.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon