Suggest remedy for dizziness and nausea after smoking cigar

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hi, recently i have been really sick, got a cold and flu and was feeling dizzy and tired all the time, i have been getting better these few days. Half an hour ago I decided to smoke a heavy cigar ( bad idea i know) i am not a smoker at all and smoke very rarely, i was still sick but now i feel very dizzy, nauseous and my body is a bit shaking and it's worrying me. What do you think is the cause and what shoudl i do ? Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ok... people do not generally have severe problems from first time smoking

Detailed Answer:
but essentially ALL have that sort of side effect. Nicotine has a lot more effects than what people realize.

1) there is the direct stimulation of nicotine on the digestive tract. This lasts while the nicotine is there and goes away after it is gone. (2 hrs is a long time for this).
It might be a bit longer due to the breakdown products of nicotine that have about a 15 hr half life and stay in the body after one use about 1-2 days BUT their effect dwindles. So, could be just the nicotine. I doubt it.
2) to any and all noxious influences, the mind is imprinted by them. THis is an unconscious process. Then, whenever confronted by anything resembling or smelling like the original thing that made one sick, one has an aversive (sick) feeling renewed by the brain circuitry to prevent re-exposure to the same thing that previously made someone sick. One gets over this with several exposures (a dozen or so). then....
3) after many exposures to nictotine, the entire body gets rewired to actually EXPECT nicotine and doesn't run right without it. This is the main basis of addiction (the withdrawal makes people sort of fall apart. bad).
The likely causes are in order of 1, 2 and 3 being very UNlikely.
Hydration, rest, maybe zofran BUT certainly staying away from anything resembling or smelling like or reminding you of the cigar for a few days if at all possible.