Suggest remedy for dizziness and headache post head injury

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi My name is XXXX, I woke up with a headache and fainted hitting my head on the floor, this was 28 hours ago and I still keep feeling light headed and have a headache where the bump is. Should I see a doctor?
I think it is also due to low blood pressure and having a heavy period at the time.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello! My name is Olsi Taka, I am a medical doctor specialized in neurology and I will try to address your question.

Now I suppose your first concern is whether the hit that you took might have caused a brain injury like hemorrhage. I would say that it is unlikely. While you may have had a light concussion (which may be accompanied by some headache and light-headedness for some days or even weeks) more serious complications like hemorrhage develop during the first 24 hours, so it is unlikely to develop now. Signs to worry about which might need urgent evaluation by a doctor would include progressively increasing or very intense headache, seizures, double vision, weakness or numbness of the limbs on the one side, confusion or changes in behavior. I do not think the necessity will arise though, mentioning the symptoms just in case.

As for what led to the fainting and hit, low blood pressure may have been a cause, so could high blood pressure, heart arrhythmia. Anemia may be another factor, likely if you have frequent blood losses due to heavy periods. So that necessitates a scheduled consult with your primary physician, some blood tests and a EKG.
As for neurological causes, they usually are accompanied by the same symptoms I mentioned above, so less likely, but however should the episode repeat the need for an EEG and brain imaging may arise for the possibility of seizures.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.