Suggest remedy for distortion and raspiness in the vocal chords

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a singer, a lyric tenor. I've been having a strange distortion, raspiness in my vocal chords for quite awhile now that's preventing me from doing simple "ooooooooo's" in the head voice softly from A1 on up. My voice prof at XXXXXXX State said it wasn't nodules, but that my natural hydrator wasn't functioning for some reason causing the vocal chords to vibrate separately. I sound more like a baritone than a tenor lately, which is distressing. I am 60 years old, never smoked. and have sung all of my life and never had this problem before. I can't seem to control the range now and if I force it, it seems like my chords collapse. I clear my throat and try again and then I can control it, but the oooo's in head voice are weak, distorted, and sometimes disappear. What can I do without surgery to correct this problem?
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Non surgical treatment may include vocal / speech therapy

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,
Thanks for writing in to us at Hcm.
This is Dr. Riyanka Chail and I am glad to be helping you with your query.

I have read your complaints .
Since you are a lyric tenor your voice range must be around C to D octaves. Continous singing at wide ranges can cause such problems. I would suggest kindly consult a ENT doctor/ Otorhinolaryngologist regarding the problem.

He may suggest investigations like laryngoscopy that can help visualise the vocal cords and hence diagnose the problem (if there are any benign / malignant lesions / paralysis/infections).

Non surgical treatment may include vocal / speech therapy done by speech therapists .
Surgical treatments are considered by common man but it may not be that fruitful for singers as it may alter the vocal range.

Along with that suportive treatment may be helpful like:
1. Drinking warm fluids and lots of water.
2. Avoiding alcohol, aerated drinks and caffeine.
3. Having a nutritious diet.
4. Warm salt water gargle.

Hope this answers your query. Don't worry .
Do write back if you have any further doubts.
Dr.Riyanka

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Riyanka Chail