Suggest remedy for depression and panic attacks

Posted on Fri, 14 Aug 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am feeling depressed and am in a state of panic and feel like I need help.I am crying in between.I want to come out of this state .This is from 2 to 3 months.In between I feel better for few days and again my mood goes back.I am afraid of using medicines because of the side affects.As I am new to this place I do not know how to approach a psychiatrist.Please advice me
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
do not worry about side effects,provide your location details& more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I can understand your feelings and pain. You seem to be in depression with anxiety symptoms. It is absolutely treatable condition. Psychotherapy and/or medicines are useful for treatment.

Every medicine (either for physical problem like fever or for psychiatric problem like depression) has side effects. However whenever any medicine is taken under medical supervision side effects do not matter much. Many of the newer medicines in psychiatry are there without or with very less side effects and that also do not occurs in every patient.

You can visit any nearby psychiatrist like you visit a physician for your physical illness. Even you can ask your family doctor to refer you to some psychiatrist.

-Provide me your exact location so I may help you about psychiatrist.

- Also provide more information about stress if any and some brief details how your problem started and worsen.

For your info:
Treatment of depression-anxiety includes both medicines and psychotherapy.

In psychotherapy I prefer cognitive behavior therapy(CBT).In mild cases only CBT is sufficient. In moderate to severe cases initially medicines and then CBT is added. And later on medicines stopped gradually.

In medicines SSRI group of drugs(fluoxetine,paroxetine,sertraline, escitalopram) are main stay of the treatment.
Benzodiazepines group of drugs(clonazeapm,lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief. Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist