• question-icon

Suggest remedy for deep chest cough and weakness

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a deep chest cough and am really weak
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry you are having this problem.

Can you provide more details, specifically:
1. How long has this been going on?
2. Do you smoke cigarettes?
3. Any fevers or chills?
4. Is the cough productive of discolored sputum (not just when you get up, but all day)?
5. Are you having any shortness of breath?
6. Do you have any ongoing medical problems?
7. Do you have any nose or sinus congestion or post nasal drainage?
8. Do you take any medication (for any problems)?

Thanks - I can answer with specific information when I hear back.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Going on a week no don't smoke no chills no mucus no shortness of breath no medical problems no sinus no meds
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some thoughts on this:

Detailed Answer:
So it sounds like you have a deep non productive cough but no bacterial type symptoms. There are a couple of ways to go with this. You can take a medicine that can help break up mucus that may not be coming up - guaifenesin. This will draw water to any secretions that may be in your respiratory tract (you have to drink a lot of water with it for guaifenesin to work well).

If it is a dry cough that is keeping you awake at night, which is leading to weakness, then a strong cough suppressant that has codeine in it might help you sleep and get well. Cough syrups with codeine require a prescription.

If you are sleeping well but still feeling a bit weak, this may be from the underlying problem, likely a virus.

The things I've just written about are for the most common causes of a cough - a viral infection, or a viral infection with a secondary bacterial infection. Usually when there is also bacteria involved, there is a fever too.

Coughs can be from drainage that we don't know is happening - going down the back of our throat and irritating the bronchi. This can be from an infection or allergies.

Coughs can also be from acid reflux from the stomach, but these usually are not deep coughs.

Coughs can be from other causes though too, including inhaled irritants and molds, and other less common things.

Having said all that, it might be a good idea for you to go in to have your lungs listened to, and possibly a chest X-ray. That will help sort out if there is anything concerning going on in your lungs.

Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification. I hope this helps and you are feeling better soon.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh