Suggest remedy for craving towards toothpaste during pregnancy

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I've been addicted to eating toothpaste since being pregnant. I gave birth in May of this year but still have the addiction to the point where I am almost going through a tube every two or so days!!! I was also told recently that I was anemic. Is there a connection possibly. I feel absolutely rediculous as I know it must be so incredibly bad for you since clearly on the tube it tells you not to swallow it! Any feedback for the addict!? Any comments or words of wisdom would be great!
Is there some type of alternative? As of about a month ago all my blood work came back fine i had a complete panel done accept for the anemia.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Craving for tooth paste

Detailed Answer:

I understand your craving for tooth paste.

It is possible for anemic women to crave for substances like tooth paste. Please get blood test done for anemia and start on iron tablets.

Try not to keep tooth paste at home and brush with salt or tooth powder . Discuss with husband and take his help to get rid of this habit.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 5 hours later
Hi there Dr. XXXXXXX

I appreciate you getting back to me. I did mention though that I am already anemic in my second email so I thought you were already aware of this? Maybe you didn't get a chance to see the second email? So I know this and already take vitamins included with iron. Why do you think this going on? Is it solely based on the fact that I am anemic? Could it be that it is due to stress perhaps?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anemia leading to craving

Detailed Answer:

In your case the craving for tooth paste is due to anemia and not stress. Curing anemia will help you to get away from this habit.

Meanwhile you try to stay away from this habit mentally also. Try to avoid eating. Dont stay hungry for long time. Eat fresh fruits like apple from time to time to keep your self filled so that craving is reduced.

Take support from family members. Keep indulged in hobby to stay away from craving.
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Just Curious...Why toothpaste? What exactly is it that makes it so? It's also the intense minty flavor, like the stronger etc. Is it something in the ingredients itself? Fluoride? Not that I wan to continue this but just curious also to know why its so dangerous to swallow too since it's made for your mouth but not consumption and in reality most people end up swallowing some accidentally. Also, what do you mean by "try to stay away from this habit mentally too?" and "Try to avoid eating." Do you mean the toothpaste or eating in general? i guess I'm a bit confused. I've found that it doesn't matter if I'm full or not, the craving is still there and strong as ever! I actually do eat a lot of apples but have to be careful because I'm a type one diabetic.
Thanks again for promptly answering my questions!

Cheers,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Soumya 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pica

Detailed Answer:

Anemica women are known to eat such substances which has iron. a Tooth paste does contain some iron. Some women eat mud in XXXXXXX Such eating habit is called pica. This is well known habit.

Staying away mentally I meant in respect to toothpaste and not other foods.

You can always contact me in future by pasting following link in your browser:

http://bit.ly/askdrsoumya