Suggest remedy for cramps, sore breasts and delayed periods

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I haven't had a peiod in 2 months, there was unprotected sex But pregnancy test are negative. Lately i
I get a very stingy sensation in my breast and random cramping. I'm always very tired but when i finally go to sleep i can only sleep for 3 hours. This morning there was a very strong pulse in my stomach. Whats happening
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stress induced delay and premenstrual syndrome (PMS)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the query to HCM.

As mentioned that you have missed your periods for 2 months straight and previously it is presumed that you had regular menses. Your pregnancy test is negative which indicates that the possibility of stress induced hormonal disturbances during these months have been high and more likely to be a cause for your delayed menses.
However the symptoms of soreness in breasts, abdominal cramps and lethargy with tiredness form a part of premenstrual syndrome or PMS which also may include strong mood swings , nausea and even headache, all mimicking early pregnancy symptoms but in absence of pregnancy ( duly ruled out by urine pregnancy test). These symptoms generally indicate that your menses should ensue in next few days and they shall subside with the onset of menses.
If the menses don't ensue in few days then you may visit your physician for a pelvic ultrasound to check for endometrial thickness which if found to be more than 10mm, you may opt for withdrawal leading with progestins to resume your menses.
STRESS be it physical, psychological or emotional can form a major factor in creating hormonal especially progesterone level disturbances which may lead to delay in menses.Hence it is suggested that you may adopt meditation or yoga in your lifestyle to reduce and control stress .
It is suggested that you may maintain a menstrual calendar as well for next 3 cycles after your menses is resumed after withdrawal bleed or naturally so that in case the pattern is repeated in future again then a hormonal profile may be considered and any deficiency can be documented and thereupon can be treated with medication.
I hope i have answered your query,
regards