Suggest remedy for cough, headache, ear pain and nausea

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Cough. Headache Ears hurt. Nausea, dizziness, ache all over including chest, stomach, and abdominal. Teeth hurt. Chills.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
likely have the flu

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds as if you do not simply have the cold, but you have the flu.

The symptoms of the flu tend to be worse as compared to a simple cough and cold infection.
The flu would cause headache, muscle/joint pain and other generalized symptoms.

Many cases of the flu can be managed at home with over the counter meds and , in some cases, medication prescribed from the doctor.
In severe cases, more intensive treatment is needed.

Home treatment would include: (1) fluids and rest- the fluids are to replace those being loss .
Coughing (fluids loss via respiratory tract) and decreased intake can result in a lack of fluids.
May help with the dizziness

Since you have nausea, use very small amounts at a time to make sure tolerated eg 1 tsp to 1 tbs. Make the liquids cool to help with your chills. NO hot liquids

(2)continue the tylenol to help with the headache and other pain. It would also help with the chills

(3)cough suppressant- these are available over the counter. You can use one that is combined with a decongestant and antihistamine if you have any nasal symptoms
If the ear pain is related to congestion of the sinuses , this would help

IF the ear pain is due to an infection in the ears, then you would need a prescription for topical or oral antibiotics from your doctor

If the cough gets wet, you would need a mucolytic- medication to break up the mucus eg mucomyst, bisolvan, guaifenesin (robutussin)

Summary: (1) FLU
(2)if you feel very unwell , you may need to be assessed by your doctor
(3) if not possible at this time then- fluids, rest, tylenol, cough suppressant, decongestant and antihistamine
(4)tepid sponging and cool liquids to help with the chills

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions