Suggest remedy for cough, diarrhoea and cold in a child

Posted on Tue, 10 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: My friends baby is 15 months old. I was babysitting him yesterday and his "cold" is awful. He has a constant runny nose, and it's flowing green. He has a cough and is sneezing, constantly tugging his ears, and has diarrhea colored green. She doesn't have medic insurance for him so we need something over the counter for him. Please help. He had a fever of 101.2 as well and we got it down with children's ibuprofen. I am very worried for this child. Please help
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
OTC medicines will not help, he needs good antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxxx,

Thank you for writing to us with your concern.

I should impress upon you the urgent need to get him to a pediatrician. The reason I say this is, Your friend's son has cough, constantly tugging his ears, green colored diarrhea with fever of 101.2.

I am really sorry about the financial condition of your friend, but there is no getting around it by OTC medicines, as antibiotics are not OTC.

My sincere advice to you and your friend is, please take him to the ER and get him looked at by a pediatrician, he might need hospitalization and IV fluids to correct dehydration if any.

Please do not ignore this, green diarrhea with fever indicates a serious bacterial infection in the gut, and if not treated adequately, the infection will spread rapidly in the blood stream and can cause septicemia.

As a temporary measure, you may get the fever down by sponging with normal water at room temperature (25-28 degree Celsius / 77-82 degree Fahrenheit)..

I sincerely hope you will find the information provided useful.

I would greatly appreciate it if you keep me updated about the progress of your friend's child with treatment.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Best regards.
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 3 minutes later
Thank you much. This has helped. I will keep you updated with his recovery. This was extremely helpful. I am so grateful this site exists. I will use it again in the future. Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I look forward to hearing from you with good news soon.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again xxxxxx,

I appreciate your concern for your friend's child and I wish only the best for all of you.

It is my duty to be of help to you.

All the best.
Dr. Yogesh D