Suggest remedy for constipation while treating for IBS

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I have Ibs... Have not had a bowel movement in 11 days. I have taken a few stool softeners over the last couple of days and a suppository earlier today. I'm hesitant to take another laxative. Do you think I should go to the hospital walk-in or emergency clinic? I have not been having any serious pain.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If it's been 11 days, you may need an enema.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry you are having this problem.

Given how long you have been constipated, and that you have tried stool softeners and a stimulant (bisacodyl suppository) without relief, you may want to go next to an enema such as Fleets (sodium phosphate). You could use up to 2 of these.

I think, as you are not in a lot of pain, you could try the enema at home, but if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, then go to the walk-in clinic and they can help you.

If constipation is a regular problem for you with your IBS, be sure to get enough fiber and exercise on a daily basis. But the fiber recommendation is for after this current situation of constipation resolves.

I hope this information helps.