Suggest remedy for consistent yawning

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Sleep Disorders
Question: MY GRANDSON IS 00 YEARS OLD AND HAS BEEN YAWNING CONSTANTLY FOR OVER A WEEK. wHY
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

There can be several causes to excessive yawning. The first most obvious is fatigue and exhaustion, if he is having too little rest. Of course that is not a diagnosis it is simply related to lifestyle.

In terms of medical conditions if there are no other obvious symptoms it is to be thought about sleep disorders like sleep apnea. That is more probable if he snores at night and is overweight, but can happen even in the absence of weight factors depending on individual airways characteristics. It consists in airway collapse and breathing interruptions at night leading to sleep interruptions and daytime sleepiness. The diagnosis of sleep disorders is made through polysomnography or sleep studies, where electrodes are put on the scalp to monitor brain waves during sleep and detect abnormalities.

There are also other conditions but there are usually other symptoms. Such conditions may include brain lesions such as tumor, stroke, epilepsy or conditions of the cardiovascular system such as heart attack or aortic dissection. However as I said there are other manifestations, yawning is the least prominent symptom, so if your nephew is otherwise feeling well such conditions are unlikely, no reason to panic.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.