Suggest remedy for clogging on distal stoma

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I have an ileostomy and wear a bag. The ostomy has an entry and exit hole (it was originally meant to be only temporary, but I have had it for nine years). Every so often, effluent will enter the exit hole and collect in what is left of my colon and rectum and I will have to 'go' the normal way (I also have a j-pouch). Over time, a mucus plug has developed down there that I cannot get out. I have felt the plug, but am unable to get it broken up or out. What can I do to soften it enough so that it will pass through?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Distal stoma wash

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

The site from which the stools come out is the proximal and the other opening is distal stoma. It's quite common for some quantity of stools to spill over to distal stoma. Also due to secretion of mucous down the distal stoma loop there is accumulation of mucous.
I would suggest you the following
1. Distal stoma wash : Using a catheter inserted in the distal loop. Wash using 500 ml of Normal Saline with few drops of Sodium bicarbonate added . Twice a day wash will be helpful
2. Rectal enema : Either retention enema using Normal saline with Soda Bicarbonate added will be helpful.

This can be done in consultation with your physician.
Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh