Suggest remedy for chronic cough and excess mucus in throat causing gagging sensation

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: 3 year old boy with chronic cough with large amounts of clear mucus that often causes him to gag and vomit. cough has been ongoing for several months
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to give steam inhalation twice or thrice a day regularly.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I think the best output will come from steam inhalation. Taking steam inhalation for three or four times a day should be good but there is no hard and fast rule. The mucus seems to be blocking his throat due to an allergic reaction which we call post-nasal drip and this is causing the gag reflex which makes him vomit. Water in the form of vapour can reach deep inside and helps in diluting the mucus. You can also give Ascoril LS which contains antiallergic and a mucolytic. Give it for a few days off and on as required. I think that should help in resolving the problem.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 23 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I pray this will help him. I am not familiar with Ascoril LS. Is it available in the U.S.? Is it marketed under another name?

Sincerely,
XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cetrizine syrup can be given an an alternative

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Even if Ascoril LS is not available, you can simply give cetirizine syrup. It is available over the counter in the US. You need not worry about the mucolytic as steam is the best mucolytic. Give cetrizine syrup 2.5 ml once or twice daily for a few days as and when required.

Hope that helps.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX thank you. XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to help. Just a further note: please do not use cough suppressants; if you are to give cough syrups, give mucolytics. Use of antihistamines or cetirizine is fine. Steam is the best mucolytic.

In case you found my answer to be helpful, I would be glad if you close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.