Suggest remedy for cervical skin tag and normal pap smear report

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 in Cancer
Question: I went for my yearly GYN visit last year which included a pap smear. Everything checked out ok except that I was told I had a cervical skin tag. The GYN doc said not to worry and they will check to see if it progresses at next visit which is this year. It has gotten bigger and is blocking cervix at this time. I am not sexually active and if I was it would be very painful I am sure. I am worried that the increase in growth is a bad sign. I am 52 yrs old and a veteran. It takes forever to get an appt. What are your thoughts on this?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The cervical skin tag can be removed surgically

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Hi since your pap smaer test is normal you do not need to worry.

A cervical skin tag is cervical skin hanging down from within the canal of the cervix.

It looks like a little finger like protrusion coming down the canal.

They cause no symptoms at all. They are almost always benign.

I will advise you to examine your cervix in detail using a colposcope which is like a magnifying glass.

With the very good light of the colposcope the skin of the cervix can be examined in detail.

If any of the cervix still appears abnormal, a tiny biopsy can be taken.You can consult your gyn doctor regarding it.

The cervical skin tag can be removed surgically as it is growing bigger and blocking vagina.

In this procedure a special instrument, called a polyp forceps, to grasp the base of the skin tag stem and then gently pluck the tag with a gentle, twisting motion.

Bleeding is usually brief and limited. Nonprescription, mild pain medication such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can help to relieve discomfort or cramping during or after the procedure.

The skin tag are sent to a laboratory for examination.

You may receive antibiotics if the skin tag shows signs of infection.

If the tag is cancerous, treatment will depend on the extent and type of cancer.

DR DE