Suggest remedy for burning sensation on foot

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 1 Feb 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi Doctor,

Last few days, I am feeling burning sensation on bottom of my left foot, near by thumb area.

When I press manually, there is no pain but when I walk - all sudden burning sensation started.

CAn you please assist?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Compression of the nerve

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Have you checked for Fasting Blood sugar, Vitamin B deficiency?
If they are normal and no proven diabetes then it is most likely the nerve supplying the skin of the great toe should be getting compressed somewhere in its path. Most likely due to improper foot wear, wearing pointed shoe or wearing a standard width shoe though you may have a wide foot.
Compression neuropathy and tarsal tunnel compression are very common.
I suggest you to see an Orthopedic surgeon or Podiatrist to get an Xray done for arthritis and see the nerve compression.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 54 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. I used to wear pointed shoe and changed after this problem. I've few questions, helpful if you can answer:

- I'm taking sports supplements for a long time including multivitamins with gaps of 15 mins after course.
- Will above deficiency only cause in one foot?

Another observation I saw - I used to put my shoes outside door. Few days back I saw small spiders and red aunts running hither and thither. Unsure if spider is the reason of such buring

Can you please suggest?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Compressive neuropathy is likely

Detailed Answer:

As I said earlier it looks like compression of left side nerve. However as a part of evaluation we need those tests as well.
Spider is unlikely the reason or other ants they leave skin marks if they are the culprit. Do you have any marks?
There should be proven deficiency before we treat so lets not conclude that by taking supplements you are free from insufficiency or deficiency.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli