Suggest remedy for burning sensation on feet

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: LINGERING BURNING SENSATION , BOTH FEET,TOP OF FOOT BELOW TOES,ONLY WHEN SITTING.HAVE HAD THIS CONDITION WELL OVER TWO YEARS
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitamins, diabetes, kidney function, neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The condition you describe is generally called a peripheral neuropathy. It is important to know if you have diabetes or not. This is a common complication of diabetes.

Vitamin deficiencies, especially of the vitamin B family could also present as such. Blood testing for these vitamins could help.

It might be important to know if you got any lower back pain or not. If present, an X ray of the lumbar and sacral spine, including a CT scan and MRI could be helpful. Nerves the cover the feet do arise from up the lower region. A proper evaluation is there fore required.

It is important to check for any weakness or muscle loss. This could have other implications. Kidney function and liver function tests should be carefully run.

Some electrolytes like low Magnesium and Calcium could present with funny issues with sensation, Testing their levels in blood could be very useful.

At times, use of a class of drugs called tricyclic anti depressants, Like Amitryptiline, and antiepileptic drugs , like Gabapentin, could be helpful.

I strongly advice the opinion of a neurologist.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D