question-icon

Suggest remedy for burning sensation in the groin area after using a lubricant

Posted on Fri, 29 May 2015
Question: I had sex with a new lube and now I have a burning feeling on my sexual parts, am I just allergic to the lube and what is the best kind to use? And what can I do about it right now?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of allergic reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the suspected allergic reaction due to lube.
Allergic reactions to various lubricants, ointments, creams, or lotions are quite common.
For immediate relief, oral Benadryl is a good first choice. The adult dose is 25 mg every 4 to 6 hours.
Use cortisone ointments (such as hydrocortisone) on the affected area. Both of these should be available over the counter.

For the prevention of such allergic reaction you have to limit exposure to these lubricants.
It is important for you to undergo allergy testing to determine what specific component may be in the lubricant that causes the reaction. The type of test required is called a contact allergy test and involves placing patches on the skin for 48 to 72 hours after which they are removed and reactions are assessed. Standard panels include testing for common ingredients in lubricants and other ointments.

Regarding the use of alternate lube;

Once you know what you may be allergic to you can then look for substitutions that do not include the specific chemicals.

It is hoped that the immediate measures suggested above could be of useful in getting rid of burning sensation.
I wish you well.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali