Suggest remedy for burning sensation in stomach and watery stool

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi! I just wanted to update that i am still having the burning in my stomach (as you mentinoned and my doctor agreed) most likely mild gastritis. Also, since ive been eating more spicy foods and having lots of lemon juice, tobasco sauce and salsa which i finally cut down on. I also had a stomach issue this weekend where my bowl movemnets were liquidy- white liquid and then today had my first regular bowl movememt and i noticed it brown but looked like one spot had red in it. When i went to take a sample (with gloves on of the red spot) i looked closer and when it smeared it was not red- but brown. Maybe it was just the contrast color bc if it were true blood in the stool it would have shown up as red on the paper correct? I think i am just overly worried now. I saw this color contrast last week and thought it was blood too but i guess since my stool is light brown its hard to tell. And this would not indicate colon cancer correct? My doctor said for that my stool woold be black. Plus im 36. Thank u!
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Burning sensation is due to gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist.

Burning sensation is due to gastritis, for which I will advise you to avoid tea, coffee, oily and spicy food. Also avoid citrus fruits. Among medications take a proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole and a prokinetic agent like domperidone.

Red colour does not appear to be due to blood as it appeared normal on paper

At this age its rare to have colon cancer. Also the symptoms are different like blood in stool, weight loss, abdominal pain and loss of apetite.

It appears that you are apprehensive, keep cool.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you . Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Thank you and my gastro doctor said for colon cancer the stool is usually blackish or dark. Is he correct? Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes stool colour may be different

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back

In colon cancer there may be bleeding from the growth or cancerous lesion leading to change in colour of the stool which may be red or black or dark

Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar